Tuesday 3 April 2012

Child of the week

Last Friday I found a sealed letter from school addressed to me.  I knew what it was about because other mothers had the same letter in previous weeks and I also knew that I wasn't supposed to tell my daughter what it was about, it was meant to be a surprise.

As I had thought, the letter stated that my daughter had been chosen to be child of the week and that she would get her certificate during morning worship the following Monday morning.  I was very excited because at every parent's evening the teacher always said that my daughter was such a hard worker, eager to please and is progressing extremely well. I always wondered when she would be child of the week; she must do something exceptional to receive such an award.  And now that she had been chosen, I kept wondering what it is that she had done so well; did she read an entire book without needing any prompts, did she do something really well in her maths class, or was really polite and used her manners, or did she help her little friends in some way when they were upset or struggling with their work.  I couldn't wait to find out and had to stop myself from mentioning it to her.

Morning worship began on the Monday morning and when my daughter was mentioned as child of the week, her teacher commented that she was chosen to get this award because she did so well in her numeracy, especially adding up 2 digit numbers - I didn't even know she could do that.  Her teacher also said that she added the numbers up so quickly that she couldn't believe her eyes.

It was a lovely service and each class had a chosen someone to be child of the week.  Then there were other little certificates to hand out for those children who had earned their next lot of smiley faces for doing good work. Others also got special mentions and stickers for 100% attendance for the school term.   My daughter got mentioned for both these things as well.

Mummy is so proud that my girl is doing so well at school!

No comments: