Tuesday 21 February 2012

Going into her own room

A few weeks ago my baby girl went into her own room for the first time.  She is 7mths now and her room had been ready for that length of time but was being used as a dumping ground for all sorts of things.  So that weekend my husband cleared out the junk and attempted to move the cot bed out of our main bedroom into her own.

As with all husbands (and men in general), they come with their own little bright sparks of ideas and when mine decided to just slide the cot bed over into the other room he thought he was on to a winner.  Little did he realise how much extra work he had to do to.  The cot bed would not got through the door at whatever angle he tried and finally decided to dismantle part of it.  He took off the panel at one end which also detached the two legs and again attempted to slide it out of the room.  He managed it, but he could not get it across the landing into its new room.  In the end he had to take the other end off before he could get it into the other room and then had to refix everything again.  What seemed like a 10 minute job actually took about an hour.

Everything was finally in place ready for my baby girl to have a good night's sleep.

I was dreading it as I thought that I would be up all night having to go to her everything 10 minutes.  All the while that she was in my room she would wake up about 10 times in the night and I would have to go to her calm her down and put her dummy back in.  Her cot bed was at the foot of my bed so some nights I was dozing with my arms and head hanging over the side into her cot for about 2 hours.  I had stopped giving her night feeds when she was about 5 months old and some nights she would have a good 3 hours solid sleep before waking up at least every hour.

To my surprise, my gorgeous girl did exceptionally well; I needn't have worried at all. She slept soundly to about 5am and moaned only once in the night.  I left her to get on with it and she was quiet within about 5 minutes.  I could not believe my luck.  All night I'd been listening out for her but daren't go into to check for fear of waking her and I needn't have worried at all - what a clever girl!!

No comments: